The main church of Pirita’s monastery was first consecrated in 1436. It was named after Birgitta Gudmarsson, founder of its mother convent back in Sweden. During its heyday, Pirita – which also became the name of the surrounding town – was home to the largest Catholic monastery in Livonia. Both nuns and monks lived in this monastery although they were kept strictly apart so that they would never meet even during prayers or meal times. Destroyed by invading Russian toops in 1577, the monastery has remained in ruins to this day. The massive front of the main building remains along with numerous walls, cellars, and its graveyard. The Birgitta Fesival is just one of the many different concerts and events organized on the ruins of Pirita Convent.
Our postcards are handmade from 100% recycled paper and printed with our letterpress on both sides.