The current cathedral is built on the site of the former refectory of Tallinn’s medieval Dominican monastery. Well-known St Petersburg architect Carlo Rossi designed the neo-Gothic basilica with its neo-classical exterior. The monastry was closed in 1524 after the Reformation and then the refectory was given to city for use as a school. The local Roman Catholic community was granted the space in 1799 and used it to build a new church. Between 1920 and 1924, the main western-facing façade received its present look, thanks to the efforts of architects Erich Jacoby and Franz de Vries who deviated somewhat from Rossi’s original version. Until the return of the Order of St Birgitta to Pirita during the 1990s, the St. Peter & Paul Cathedral was home to the only active Catholic congregation in Tallinn.
Our postcards are handmade from 100% recycled paper and printed with our letterpress on both sides.